The South Part of Great Britain, called England and Wales. Containing all ye Cities, Market Towns, Boroughs: And whatever Places have ye Election of Members of Parliament with ye Names of ye Rivers, Seaports, Sands, Hills, Moors, Forests &c. All ye Great or Port Roads, and principal Cross Roads, &c. With ye Computed Miles from Town to Town, and all ye Post Towns, as they are at present regulated by the Postmasters Gen.l of the General Post House. According to ye most approved Surveyers. And accurate Observations by Herman Moll Geographer A. D. 1710.
Printed for H. Moll over against Devereux Court without Temple Bar. I. Bowles at ye sign of ye Screen over against Stocks Market and Tho. Bowles Print and Mapseller next to the Chapter House in St. Pauls Churchyard… Sold by Philip Overton Map and Printseller near St. Dunstans Church Fleet Street.
Engraving with original outline colour. Two sheets conjoined, total 610 x 980mm. Repairs to folds, some staining.
Large, two sheet map of England and Wales, with alphabetical tables giving details of the principal towns down the sides. The term 'South Britain' was used briefly after the Act of Union in 1707, with 'North Britain' being Scotland. This map was first published in 1710, but this example is state four, published circa 1725.
Moll was of either Dutch or German origin and is believed to have come to England in the late 1670s. After working for other publishers (for example engraving some of the Greenvile Collins sea charts in the 1690s), he became one of the foremost map publishers in England. However he could not finance the huge atlas this map was published in alone; here he is in partnership with three other leading publishers: John Bowles, Thomas Bowles and Philip Overton.
The dedication is to Francis Godolphin (1678-1766), later 2nd (and last) Earl of Godolphin. He married Lady Henrietta Churchill, daughter of the first Duke of Marlborough, who became Duchess of Marlborough when her father died in 1722. Francis was one of the founding governors of the Foundling Hospital in London and owned 'the Godolphin Arabian', one of three stallions that were the founders of British thoroughbred horse racing bloodstock, famously painted by George Stubbs.
|<<Back to Catalogue||Enquire>>|