The Baynton-Williams Gallery
 

London

 

Faden London EnvironsWilliam Faden.
The Country Twenty-Five Miles Round London Planned from a Scale of One Mile to an Inch.
By W. Faden. Geographer to the King 1790.
Engraving with original colour, dissected and laid on linen.  Some light staining overall, pin marks outside image.
An impressive larrge and extremely detailed folding map, on a scale of one inch to a mile. It extends to Hertford and Tring to the north, Chelmsford and Billericay eastwards, Dorking and Reigate southwards and Windsor to the west.
William Faden worked for Thomas Jefferys and took over the business on Jeffery's death in 1771. Faden's maps were famed for their accuracy and were kept up to date with the latest surveys.
Howego 'Printed Maps of London' No. 188 (3).
1035 x 1260mm.
£550
Collins LondonCollins.
Collins' Standard Map of London. New Survey. 3000 Street References.
London. Edward Stanford. 6 Charing Cross Road. [n.d., c. 1862
Wood-engraving with original colour.  Some paper loss, repaired recently and laid on muslin.
A folding map of London, covering from Holloway in the north, Lambeth in the south, Notting Hill in the west and Limehouse in the east. The original booklet containing street index.
Hyde Printed Maps of Victorian London 1851 – 1900 No. 56 (2).
690 x 842mm, folded into cloth boards, 180 x 101mm.
£70
Munster map of LondonSEBASTIAN MUNSTER
LONDINIUM FERACIS: ANG. MET.
Woodcut. Appropriate later colour.
Strongly based on Braun and Hogenberg’s slightly earlier plan.
Published in Basle 1598. German text edition.
Printed surface measures 310 x 380mm
Howgego no. 6
SOLD
Hollar map of LondonBlome, Richard, publisher. Engraved by Wencelaus Hollar.
London.
Title at top, within the border. Second edition, with dedication below, to Sir Robert Vyner, alderman, knight and baronet, with his coat of arms. At the sides and beneath the plan are 15 coats of arms of City livery companies and the arms of the City of London. The plan extends from Limehouse to Tothill Fields, and Stepney to St George's Fields. There is a key to 45 numbered landmarks. The plan was included in Blome's Britannia, dated 1673. Vyner was not elected alderman until 1667, suggesting a slightly later publishing date.
Short repaired tear in bottom margin, just extending to printed border. Plate size 17 x 27.5cm
SOLD
 
Constable: Waterloo BridgeDavid Lucas after John Constable.
Opening of Waterloo Bridge. June 18, 1817.
Painted by John Constable R. A. Engraved by David Lucas. 17. Published by H. G. Bohn, 1855.
Mezzotint on steel   Slight browning at edges of paper and slight foxing.
From the publication 'English Landscape Scenery: A Series of Forty Mezzotints Engravings on Steel, by David Lucas. From Pictures Painted by John Constable '.
Lucas (1802 -81) was a talented mezzotint engraver whose work combined wonderfully well with Constable's paintings to produce some of the best mezzotint engravings ever seen.
Plate 175 x 244.
£150

 

Duffield: Port of LondonJames Duffield Harding.
The Port of London.
[Lithograph, 1836.]
Tinted Lithograph    Some foxing to outer margins.
A view of the Port of London, with the title inscribed on a piece of wood and the date 1834 on a buoy.
Ruskin expressed his opinion of Harding in a letter to Prout: 'If that man had but a soul he would make a great painter'.
Harding and Hullmandel's collaboration was instrumental in perfecting tinted lithography. The technique involved using a separate stone to print the background wash colour, in this case a pale cream.
260 x 375mm.
£400
 
Laurie: Highgate ArchwayRichard Holmes Laurie
The Highgate Archway from the Turnpike Gate at Holloway.
Published 20th March, 1823 by Rich.d Holmes Laurie, 53 Fleet Street, London.
Engraving  with later hand colour. 
The Highgate Archway, a viaduct designed by John Nash and opened in 1813, built because of traffic on Highgate Hill. On the foreground is the Archway Tavern, the toll-gate and a cow!
305 x 435mm.
SOLD
 
Shotter Boys: Tower of LondonThomas Shotter Boys.
The Tower and Mint from Great Tower Hill.
[Drawn and lithographed by Thomas Shotter Boys, published 1843.]
Lithograph  in fine original hand colour.  Good condition with wide margins.
One of the best illustrations in the series 'London as it is' which is the most important documentary on life in 19th century London. Shotter Boys can be seen in the foreground with his drawing pad.
Printed area 200 x 430mm.
£400
 

Ackermann's Microcosm of London

Views of London and its inhabitants in the early 19th century, From Ackermann's 'Microcosm of London', a series with the figures drawn by the caricaturist Thomas Rowlandson and the buildings by architectural draughtsman Augustus Pugin.
Microcosm of London: BridewellPass-Room Bridewell.
Pugin & Rowlandson del.t et sculp.t. Hill aquat. London Pub. 1 March 1808 at R. Ackermann's Repository of Arts 101 Strand.
Aquatint  with fine original hand colour, watermarked 1807. 
Bridewell Hospital was a 'house of correction': a prison for the homeless, criminals, unmarried mothers and prostitutes. To prevent inmates re-offending and to 'correct' their wrong-doings, they were made to do hard physical labour – some were subjected to beatings. 'Bridewell' became the general name for houses of correction throughout England. The hospital remained open from 1553 to 1855.
The notice on the right hand wall reads Those who dirt their beds will be punished.
235 x 280mm.
£100
Microcosm of London: Coal ExchangeCoal Exchange.
Pugin & Rowlandson del.t et sculp.t. Hill Aquat. London Pub. 1. May 1808 at. R. Ackermanm's Repository of Arts 101 Strand.
Aquatint  with fine original hand colour, watermarked 1808. 
The interior of the Coal Exchange, Thames Street.
230 x 280mm.
£100
Microcosm of London: GuildhallGuildhall. Examination of a Bankrupt before his Creditors. Court of King's Bench.
Pugin & Rowlandson del.t et sculp.t J. Bluck aquat. Pub 1st. Nov.r 1808 at R. Ackermann's Repository of Arts 101 Strand, London.
Aquatint  with fine original hand colour. 
235 x 275mm.
£130
Microcosm of London: HorseguardsMounting Guard, St James's Park.
Pugin & Rowlandson del.t et sculp.t. J. Bluck aquat. London, Pub. 1st. Feby. 1809 at R. Ackermann's Repository of Arts 101 Strand.
Aquatint  with original hand colour.  Slightly faded.
Troops marching on Horse Guards Parade, the modern setting for Trooping the Colour
225 x 270mm.
£150
Microcosm of London: Leadenhall MarketLeaden Hall Market.
Pugin & Rowlandson del.t et sculp.t. J.C. Stadler aquat. Pub 1st. Jan.y 1809 at R. Ackermann's Repository of Arts 101 Strand, London.
Aquatint  with fine original hand colour. 
Leadenhall Market, situated in what was the centre of Roman London, was originally a meat, game and poultry market. It still exists today, now a covered arcade with more upmarket shops.
220 x 270mm.
£130
Microcosm of London: Egyptian Hall, Mansion HouseEgyptian Hall, Mansion House.
Pugin & Rowlandson del.t et sculp.t J. Bluck aquat. Pub 1st. Jan.y 1809 at R. Ackermann's Repository of Arts 101 Strand, London.
Aquatint  with fine original hand colour. Watermarked Whatman 1808 
The main reception hall of Mansion House, the official residence of the Lord Mayor of London, built by George Dance, completed 1752. It gained its nickname despite the absence of any Egyptian motifs.
230 x 275mm.
£100
Microcosm of London: Newgate ChapelNewgate Chapel.
Pugin & Rowlandson del.t et sculp.t. J.C. Stadler aquat. London Pub. 1st. March 1809 at R Ackermann's Repository of Arts 101 Strand.
Aquatint  with fine original hand colour. 
The chapel of Newgate Prison, gaol for London's most serious criminals. On the Sunday before excutions the 'Ordinary', the clergy of Newgate, preached a special sermon: a black coffin would be placed on a table in the centre of the chapel (known as the dock), and the condemned had to sit immediately around the coffin, surrounded by sightseers.
235 x 275mm.
£80
Microcosm of London: Royal CircusRoyal Circus.
Pugin & Rowlandson del.t et sculp.t. Bluck aquat. London Pub. 1st May 1809 at R. Ackermann's Repository of Arts 101 Strand.
Aquatint  with fine original hand colour. 
The Royal Circus and Equestrian Philharmonic Academy in Blackfriars Road, Southwark. In 1809 (the year of publication) it was converted into a theatre and renamed the Surrey Theatre.
230 x 275mm.
£175
Microcosm of London: Trinity HouseTrinity House.
Pugin & Rowlandson del.t et sculp.t. Sutherland aquat. London Pub. Octr. 1st. 1809 at R. Ackermann's Repository of Arts 101 Strand.
Aquatint  with fine original hand colour, watermarked 1808. 
Trinity House is the official Lighthouse Authority for England and Wales. Founded in 1514. It is ruled by a court of Elder Brethren, presided over by a Master, at present HRH the Princess Royal, Princess Anne.
200 x 265mm.
£120

Back to Top