Sussexia sive Southsex, olim pars Regnorum.
Engraving with later colour. The left and right hand margins have been trimmed and re-margined, not affecting the printed surface.
A map of Sussex engraved by William Kip for Camden's Britannia, first published 1607, but his example from 1637, with number '10' added.
While most maps in the Britannia were copied from Christopher Saxton's maps, this is derived from one by John Norden, who tried and failed to complete his own set of county maps. His printed map of Sussex, issued 1595, is known through only one surviving example, in the Royal Geographical Society. Those maps Norden did complete were regarded as superior to Saxton's and were copied for both the Britannia and Speed's Theatre atlas.
The Sussex map is wider that most of the maps in the Britannia, so are frequently trimmed at the sides when the binder evened-off the edges of the atlas.
220 x 390mm.
|Gerard van Keulen.
A New Gradually Encreasing Compass-Map of a Part of the Sea Coasts of Sussex, Extending from Eastward of Hastings, to Arundel Haven with their Shallows and Depths.
Tot Amsterdam by G. van KEULEN. 1698 [but 1707].
Engraving A very strong, clear impression.
A sea chart of the Sussex coast, published by the most successful Dutch firm of chart-makers. Gerard's father, Johannes, received a patent to published maritime atlases in 1680: the firm was run by his descendants until 1844 and was finally wound up in 1885.
510 x 595mm.
An Accurate Map of the County of Sussex
[London: Robert Sayer, Robert Wilkinson and Carington Bowles., 1785.]
Engraving with original outline colour. Repaired tears to the margins.
A large-format map of Sussex, published in the 'Large English Atlas', with views and town plans are of Chichester and Lewes, and decorations of surveying instruments including a 'way-wiser' and a putto folding a theodolite.
This atlas was the best county atlas of the 18th century, with maps by Emanuel Bowen, Thomas Bowen and one, Middlesex, by R.W. Seale. Beginning in 1749 the original plan was to publish one map each month until the series was completed, but this proved to be too ambitious and the 45 maps were not completed until 1760. It is interesting that there were no geographical changes to the maps during their long publication period; the only changes were to the publisher's imprints beneath the bottom border. Usually the title cartouches illustrate the produce and industry of the county. Each is packed with notes of local interest.
510 x 850mm.
|Christopher and John Greenwood.
Map of the County of Sussex from an actual Survey made in the years 1823 and 1824.
Published by the Proprietors Greenwood and Co... July 4th 1829.
Engraving with original body colour.
Highly detailed map of Sussex, engraved by H. Frost and published in the First Edition of Greenwood's 'Atlas of the Counties of England'. With an inset view of Chichester Cathedral
Greenwood and Co. Was one of the last private companies to undertake large scale mapping before the Ordnance Survey.
625 x 730mm.
Steel plate engraving with later colour. Trimmed as published on right hand margin.
Vignettes of Chichester Cathedral and Arundel Castle.
Thomas Moule had many interests which are reflected in the illustrations on these, which are the last series of decorative county maps. Although not large they are clearly engraved with much detail showing coats of arms and vignettes of scenes within each county. They were first published in the 1830s but were later updated to show the railways, as this example.
Image 212 x 260mm.
|James E. Edwards.
[Pair of maps of southern Sussex.]
Edwards Sculpt. Published as the Act Directs 1st. Sep. 1819, by I. E. Edwards Brompton Midx. [&] Published as the Act Directs 15th Jan. 1820 by I. E. Edwards, Brompton Observatory.
Engraving with original colour.
Pair of maps of the southern of Sussex, orientated with north to the right, published in 'A Companion from London to Brighthelmston'. The first marks Brighthelmston [Brighton), Hove, Southwick, Preston, Patcham, Piecomb, Poynings, Folking, and Edberton; the second Shoreham, Lancing, Worthing, Beeding & Steyning. Mileages are marked on the main roads. The maps are extremely detailed, the engraving meticulous: hills are hachured, beaches, forests and common lands are stippled; mileages are marked on the main roads.
Pair, each sheet c.285 x 440mm.
Arundel Castle. The Seat of His Grace the Duke of Norfolk.
Drawn by W. Daniell R.A. Engraved by M. J. Starling. [Published c.1825.]
Daniell painted four large views of Arundel Castle on his visit in the early 1820s, now hanging in the Smoking Room at Arundel Castle.
Plate 170 x 261mm.
Panoramic View of Brighton, West No. 2.
Published by W. Grant, News Agent, 5 Castle Square Brighton. [c.1855.]
Tinted lithograph Repairs to margins outside image, slight paper loss to lower margin.
A very rare view of the Brighton seafront, centred on Brunswick Terrace, with the buildings named under the image.
Image 170 x 325mm.
The West or Garden Front of the Pavilion at Brighton, the Marine Palace of His Majesty George the IVth.
[Etched by by Thomas Sutherland after Cordwell, published by Cordwell at his Repository, 10 Gt East Street, Brighton, 1814.]
Aquatint Slight creasing, some damage to the wide margins, and some small spots in the sky.
The exterior of the Prince Regent's palace at Brighton.
190 x 300mm.
Plate 12. Pavilion. Entrance Hall. [&] Plate 19. Pavilion, Banquetting Room Gallery. Proof.
John Nash Esqr. Archit & invent. A Pugin delt. Aquatinted by T. Sutherland. Printed by McQueen. London, Published June 1824, by John Nash, Esqr. & Sold by R. Ackermann, 101, Strand. [&] Drawn by Augt Pugin, Aquat. by D. T. Egerton. London, Published July 26, 1823, by John Nash Esqr. & sold by R. Ackermann, 101 Strand.
Aquatint printed in grey, blue and sepia inks. Short tear in the right margin, not extending to the plate mark, otherwise in mint condition. Very minor dust soiling, otherwise mint.
A pair of proof examples of interiors from Nash's work 'The Royal Pavilion at Brighton', never bound.
Each c. 195 x 295mm.
The Pavilion Brighton.
Eng. By J. Newman. Pub. By J. Smith Pool Valley Brighton. [c.1845.]
Steel engraving with good later colour
Image 120 x 170mm.
Brighton & The Chain Pier from the Pier Head.
Drawn & Lithog. by C. W. Wing. Published by W.m Tuppen Royal Marine Library Brighton. [n.d., c.1830.]
Lithograph with later hand colour
The Brighton Chain Pier was built in 1823 and was the first major pleasure pier to be built in Britain. It was primarily intended as a landing stage for packet boats to Dieppe, but it also featured a small number of attractions including (initially) a camera obscura. It became a major attraction: King William IV landed on it, J.M.W. Turner and John Constable painted it and it was even the subject of a song. The pier was destroyed by a storm in 1896.
Image 220 x 350mm.
|J. C. Stadler after P. J. de Loutherbourg.
Fishermen going out at Worthing.
P. J. de Loutherbourg R. A. delt. J. C. Stadler sculpt. London: Published by R. Bowyer, Historic Gallery, Pall Mall, 1801.
Aquatint printed in colour and hand finished Fine image with two repaired tears on left and right margins and three small repaired tears in sky.
From 'Picturesque Scenery of Great Britain'. A series of six aquatints of coastal towns in the south of England. Loutherbourg was born in Germany and moved to England in 1771. He became known as a scenery designer at London's Drury Lane Theatre as well an accomplished landscape painter.
436 x 575mm.
Plan of the Park, Garden and Plantations of Goodwood in Sussex, the Seat of His Grace the Duke of Richmond & Lenox &c.
Ca. Campbell delin: H. Hulsbergh sculp. [1717-1725.]
Engraving Wide margins extra.
The Vitruvius Britannicus (The British Architect), was one of the most important architecture books ever published in the United Kingdom. It highlighted mainly baroque or Palladian houses, including both proposals and built designs.
375 x 495mm.
|Kip: Chichester Cathedral
The Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity in Chichester.
[Engraved by John Kip, published c.. 1710.]
Engraving It is a particularly good impression, almost certainly printed before 1710.
A large view of Chichester Cathedral, probably engraved by Kip, who engraved most of the views for Britannia Illustrata, this magnificent series of views of cities, towns and houses throughout the country, although signing none. It shows the cathedral from the south, with a very high wall round the Bishop's house. There are no buildings shown in West Street. Peeping over the ridge of the roof of the Cathedral is the top of the Bell Tower. Usually the tower is not nearly as clear as it is in this print.
460 x 590mm.